Friday, June 16, 2017

Father's Day Cards from Julie





I did more graphic-geometric designs for my father's day cards this year.

Kraft cardstock, twine bow, olive green stenciled circle dot pattern, rhinestone embellishments, stacked die cuts coated in glossy accents.

My dad is sight impaired. He has had multiple surgeries because of glaucoma; as a result, he is nearly blind.  He has a little peripheral vision left in one eye; if he uses a magnifying glass, he can see a little bit on his good days.  Because of this, I try to make cards bold and simple usually. I also try to include some tactile elements on the card in case it is not one of his better days. (For instance, the twine bow and the layered die cuts covered in glossy accents are something he could feel. The die cut also makes the main part of the sentiment nice and bold. My mom can read him the rest if he needs help.)

Bermuda bay, lime green, and yellow stenciled dots; iridescent sequins; stacked die cuts coated in glossy accents

My father-in-law is partially color-blind. Reds and greens appear brown to him. But just recently he was having his cataracts taken care of and having his vision corrected; right now he is seeing greens as blues. Go figure. He has only had one eye done so far; the other eye being done may "correct" that. 
 I used some circle does to create a stencil out of some heavy weight acetate. (I did use the precision base plate and ran it back and forth a few times.) I used a couple of punches in cardstock for the really small ones. Then I did ink blending to create all the circles. I then laid a piece of screen back over the circle die over the sponged circles and sponged them again to create the mesh texture. (Autocorrect did not like that sentence, let me tell ya...) I stacked 4-5 die cuts up and layered glossy accents over them for the die cut greeting; it makes it very sturdy. I finished it off with a scattering of iridescent sequins.

Smoky slate, rainbow ink triangles, silver shimmer hearts

The last card is for my husband. (His eyes are fine....wink. I repeatedly stamped these "triangles" in rainbow order. (used a MISTI) This is actually one of the cone stamps from the set, Cool Treats.  The silver hearts were die cut from some shimmery silver packaging from a lip gloss set I picked up last Christmas. I unfolded the box and die cut the hearts (last year). I keep them in with my sequins. 

That's all for now,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment